What can be learnt from Sir John Hegarty? By @Edwards92Sophie
By Sophie Edwards
What can be learnt from Sir John Hegarty?
- Creativity is an expression of the self
- Know what type of creativity you are producing. Pure creativity (original thinking like a new piece of art, creating the concept of the Simpsons) OR applied creativity (taking a concept such as the Simpsons and doing an episode) – *hint* aim for pure.
- Art without an idea is just decoration
- Be daring – constantly break new ground
- Fame is powerful
- Be great at 1 thing and you will have value – don’t be good at both art & copy
- Is your idea irreverent? Yes? Good
- Make sure your work represents your opinions – put yourself in your work
- Work out what you believe in
- What are you trying to make with your life?
- What’s the idea in 1 sentence?
- Be fearless – make things which have never been seen before
- Risk it – otherwise you’ll just end up repeating yourself
- Dialogue with the viewer makes powerful work
- Go for short and simple ideas – take complicated ideas and reduce them down
- Persuade and then promote the brand you’re advertising
- Work for brands you wouldn’t mind your kid using.
- If you’re in a team, have a team brand
- Remember, you’re only as good as your next ad
- Have a partner who will tell you when it’s shit.
- Good is the enemy of great
- Most creative careers last 10 years (gulp). The only way to extend this is to:
- Absorb things
- Mix with the best
- Look at great work – Read shit. Think shit. Do shit
- Constantly invest in your creativity
- Bring Ego into the game. DO NOT bring your MEE MEE MEE into the room.