School of Communication Arts
Fast Facts about School of Communication Arts
- School of Communication Arts is supported by over 100 advertising agencies
- We have 36 students and a network of over 800 industry mentors
- Our mentors include Sir John Hegarty, Rory Sutherland, Tony Brignull. Alexandra Taylor, Laura Jordan Bambach, Dave Trott, Paul Brazier, Patrick Collister and dozens more award winning ECDs
- Our mentors visit the school studio every day, helping our students with their live briefs
- All students leave with brilliant portfolios and a phenomenal network of advertising industry professionals
- Almost all students get about six months of placements in top agencies
- Some leave school and go straight into jobs as Art Directors or Copywriters without placements
- No dissertation, no tests, no exams. Just everything to help get that first great job in a top advertising agency
School of Communication Arts is a social enterprise, supported by over 100 agencies. Some agencies donate money to fund scholarships. Some donate time, by sending their staff down to the school to mentor in our studio. Some do both, and much more. The result is that about a third of our 36 students benefit from industry funded scholarships, and we have a network of over 700 teachers. On a typical day (if there is such a thing at SCA!) about half a dozen industry professionals visit our studio to mentor our students.
The curriculum is delivered through a sequence of briefs. Students work on about fifty briefs during their time in the studio (September to July). Many of these are live briefs.
After a year of hard work, our students are ready for employment, they have a great portfolio and an enviable network of industry professionals. Instead of a dissertation, we end the year with an event called Portfolio Day, where we invite our network of agencies to come and see our students’ work and make job or placement offers. Almost all students get about six months of placements from Portfolio Day, except those who go straight into employment. About 80% of our students get a job at a Top 100 agency within six months of completing the course.