Shit Hot Advice – By @j_kburgess
By Jemma Burgess
Shit Hot Advice.
The course is coming to an end. Would I do it again? Probs not. Although there’s a lot of things I will miss, I think I’m ready to leave. Ready to take one small step into the big wide industry. However! I am here to give you all some shit hot advice on how to survive the next year of your life.
- You will gain weight. Accept it. Embrace it. The last thing you need to worry about is the food you stuff in your mouth.
- Nothing should come before your health. If you need to take a day to regroup, take it. ( Just don’t take 3 mental health days a week)
- Mark was SUPER nice to us! Like he gave us ALL. THE. LOVE. We slightly might have taken the piss at times. I feel like Mark has learnt from this so BEWARE OF ANGRY MARK.
- On that note. A quick tip to keep Mark happy. DO THE GROUP NOTES.
- Marcia, Max and Amy run everything. They are your one and only. Treat them with care.
- If you don’t understand anything ( especially Strat ) sit with Pete and just argue. Trust me you will get it after that conversation.
- Forget putting yourself on Ian’s list. Sit next to him, eat grapes and be merry.
- Alex Taylor loves chocolate covered peanuts.
- You care about D&AD ( which you should because it’s a completion and winning feels good) No one else really cares about D&AD.
- Surprisingly Mark actually knows what he’s talking about. Do what he says and you will be fine.
- You will always be able to email a mentor over the holidays about your work
- Everything can be fixed with a large bottle of wine.
- Market House does good food. Keep away from everyone else. We’re all savages just looking for our next meal.
- Work hard and then some.
- People can smell a dick from a mile off. Don’t be one.
- It’s okay to break down. Cry it all out. Then get up and get back to work.
- The only validation you need is Mike cheering for you. You’ll recognise it when it happens. It’s iconic.
- The calendar has all the visiting mentors emails. Write them all down in a spreadsheet. Boom.
- You will miss 1000 opportunities if you don’t listen.
- Spell check your portfolio.