Term one in quotes – By @TomoWrites
By Tomo Taka
Term one in quotes
Term one is in the books. And as the dust settles on the year, I took a few minutes to read over the notes I made during our first few months at SCA. Every other line featured words of wisdom from the school’s sprawling network of mentors. Little nuggets of gold everywhere.
Here are just a few highlights…
‘Target the creatives you want to work for, not just the agency.’
– Pete and Ollie, creative team at BMB.
‘Think about big things while you’re doing small things so that all the small things go in the right direction.’
– Alvin Toffler (Marc’s hero)
‘Don’t seek praise. Seek criticism.’
– Alex Taylor
‘Excellence is not an act, it’s a habit.’
– Aristotle, quoted to us during Diana Jervis Reed’s crash course in time management
‘Don’t burn bridges, build tunnels.’
– Marc talking about networking
‘Life’s what happens when you make other plans.’
– Not sure who, think it might be Pete.
‘A problem well stated is a problem halfway solved.’
‘I’ve learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people never forget how you made them feel.’
– Maya Angelou, quoted to us by Neil Pavitt
‘If you think you can or if you think you can’t, then you’re right.’
– Peter Souter
‘Ads are words, pictures and insights.’
– Peter Souter. Again.
‘Make them laugh, cry or think.’
– Peter Souter. Again. Again.
‘If you work from knowledge you are not going anywhere new.’
– Paul Arden, quoted to us by Alex Taylor.
‘Story is the art of empathy.’
– Richard Jacobs
‘Real creativity happens with no money, no commission, no deadline.’
– Nathalie Gordon of Sunshine agency
‘Weapons of mass distraction.’
– Steve Harrison
‘A communication must be concerned with the “unchanging man”, with his obsessive drive to survive, to be admired, to succeed, to love, to take care of his own.’
– Bill Bernbach, quoted to us by ex SCAer Seb Howling (I think).
‘Emulate the masters until you find your own voice.’
– Steve Harrison
‘Speak to people like they’re people.’
‘The world’s getting better and better, worse and worse – faster and faster.’
– Dave Pearl
‘You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view. Until you climb inside of his skin and walk around in it.’
– Atticus Finch in To Kill a Mockingbird, quoted to us by Olly Markeson from BETC
‘If you can’t write something startling, then don’t write anything at all.’
– Dan Wieden, quoted to us by Caroline.
‘We are the music makers, we are the dreamers of dreams.’
– Arthur O’Shaughnessy via Laura J Bambach.
‘The only possible weapon we have is reason.’
– the legend that is Tony Brignull
‘Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to one and all.’